October 25, 2008

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

When I taught school one of my favorite books was "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day".  Well- we are having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad WEEK.  Brian left last Friday for a 10-day out-of-the-country trip (more on that in a later post)- so we were already sad to have him gone for so long.  Then on Tuesday I locked Brett in the car while we were running errands.  I couldn't get in touch with anyone (althought I finally got in touch with my mom- thank the good Lord) so I had to call 911 and they sent some firemen to get him out.  Let me tell you- for those of you who have never done this- it is horrible.  Go get a spare key made today and keep it in your pocket, hide it under your car, give it to your neighbor- something!  My poor little guy had no idea what was going on and was terrified.  I have a whole new respect for firemen now.  They were amazing- and so nice.  They even let Brett get up in the truck after it was all over.  So, we were both traumatized after that.  Then, Wednesday morning I am getting ready for Bible study and hear a horrible noise- yep- Brett is throwing up.  He has never had the stomach virus so this is new for both of us- and it is no fun!  Around one on Wednesday I decide that maybe Brett needs some fresh air.  So we start out the back door- with Brett in front of me- and he runs to the stairs and starts to take off without me.  The next thing I know I am watching my baby rolling down the stairs- a sight you never, ever, ever want to see.  So I grab him up, rush him upstairs- where- again thank the good Lord- my dad has just come in- and try to see if there is any damage.  About a minute later we start round two of the stomach virus- this time much worse.  He is then very lethargic and we can't get him to stay awake.  So, fearing that he has a concussion, we rush him to the doctor's office.  They check him out- say he looks OK- and tell us to watch him closely and wake him after 1 1/2 hours of sleep.  At this point I am crying and crying feeling like the worst mom on the planet- and so sad that I can't even talk to Brian since he doesn't have his cell phone with him.   It has been a challenging week to say the least.  And my poor sweet little guy is still throwing up.  It is the hardest thing to watch.  You feel so helpless.  Please pray for him- that he will be well soon- and that no one else in our family will get it because they said it is a virus that you can re-catch even if you just had it.  He has had enough trauma for one week!

4 comments:

MindyMac said...

Amybeth! That is horrible! Any one of those things is horrible, but all 3??? I'm so sorry! Molly got her first throw up virus and a 104 fever a couple of weeks ago and I hated it.

Joanne said...

That really was the worst week. One of the things I hated most about raising 5 children was the "throw up virus". And then with Brian out of town with no cell phone, locking Brett in the car, and Brett falling down the stairs!!! Really...now you can write a book about your week! I hope by now Brett is his happy little self again and that no one else got sick. I am praying for you.

The Guthries said...

Sweet Girl, I am so sorry to hear about your week. I sure hope it got better. Just now read about it. Hang in there! What sweet fun it will be when Brian returns! Love you!

Heather said...

i am so sorry! that is the worst week ever.

have you thought about asking your pediatrician for some phenegran or something to stop the throw ups?

i don't know ... anything to take him out of the misery of that!!!

wash your hands ... and run some water/vinegar on the stove (it will smell up your house) but it will kill the virus. use 2 parts water to 1 part vinegar ..... email me if you have questions.

but, this is supposed to kill any virus.

HH