September 17, 2010

Happy "Gotcha Day" Kate

One year ago today we waited not so patiently for you to come to our hotel room. I was so nervous- the most nervous I had ever been in my life. They were late bringing you to us so I made Daddy play a card game with me to try and calm my nerves. I had dreamed of this day for most of my life, and it had finally come. It was just Daddy and I in the room, so we set the video camera on top of several books and I stood next to it for what seemed like forever so I could hit "play" when the knock on the door came. Daddy was set with the camera to take pictures of the first few minutes you finally met your Mommy. We thought you would come in calm and not crying- boy were we wrong. Your face was already red from crying by the time you walked into our room. Your hair was so short and your face was so red that I almost didn't recognize you at first. And then they placed you in my arms and I knew you were mine. You cried for a loooooong time. I carried you around the halls in our hotel for about an hour. You calmed down when we were walking, but any time I got close to the door of our room you cried again and would kick your feet. You stopped crying by the time we had to leave to get pictures made for some paperwork, but you did not show us your smile until 8 hours after you first walked into our room. We put you on the bed in our room and blew bubbles and you laughed and smiled- and that was it. No more tears, no more pouts- just smiles. You were a different child. Daddy gave you a full pack of mini M&M's (which is still your favorite candy) and you decided that maybe we weren't so bad after all.
It is so hard to believe that it has been a year- because I don't remember a time that you were not a part of our family.
When I think back over the last year what stands out the most to me is your relationship with your brother. There is no way I could have imagined how much he was going to love you- and you love him. It is something only the Lord could have done. I am so thankful for your special relationship and pray that you will always be best friends.
We love you so much Kate Layu! Thank you for allowing us to be your forever family!

The first time Mommy got to hold you
The first smiles we got to see
One year later- what a difference
Loving on your Mommy
My beautiful, happy, joyful, smart, caring, loving, funny little girl

3 comments:

Joanne said...

It is heart-wrenching to think of what little Kate had to go through during the transition. And I never thought about how hard it was for you for those first few hours and to a lesser extent in the months that followed. Little did Kate understand the love that she was going to be surrounded with...a love as deep and wide as she could ever know. And if she could only have known of the love and protection of her big brother and how he had been taught since birth that a little sister was waiting for him in China. And then there were her new parents who had prepared their hearts for her as soon as they began thinking about the family they wanted. And how could she know that this little family of hers was immersed in the love of so many others including a most loving extended family and hundreds of friends. To make it even better, this new family of hers would be passing on to her the love of a Savior who knew her before time began. So "tears may flow at night but joy comes in the morning." Love drove away all those fears, anxieties, and feelings of separation. It is so easy to see in the photos how your sweet girl has grown and blossomed. She is yours....she always was...she always will be. Praising our Lord Jesus who put you all together. I am so happy for Kate and for Brett and for you, your family, and your friends. Thank you for sharing such deep and unforgettable feelings.

Traci Kalish said...

Hard to believe it has been a year, because I with you, I feel like these girls have been with us forever. Probably, because God knew all along they were destined to be ours! Love you friend!

Mack said...

If you do not blow that picture up of the two of you in your white ab.....that is absolutely gorgeous gorgeous.....