September 20, 2009

Day five- The Summer Palace and The Bird's Nest

****Still can't get on blogger so this is again from email.  I tried to send this already but it was too big so I am sending it in 3 different blog posts so I can include all the pictures.  So don't forget to scroll down to see the pictures after you read about our day. Sorry there is not a caption to all the pictures.****
Today was my favorite day so far.  Kate woke up happy (she has still been sad in the mornings so far), the weather was beautiful, and the Summer Palace was incredible!  I wish that the pictures would do it justice, but I know they won't.  It was amazing.  I have LOVED learning so much about the Chinese culture and rituals.  It is fascinating. 
Kate is such a trouper. We leave the room every morning around 8:30 or 9 and don't get back to the room until after dinner.  She is a wonderful sleeper- she has taken all of her naps while I am carrying her- and has slept 11 or 12 hours every night.  Thank you Lord for another good sleeper!!!!
It is amazing to me how Kate can "work the crowd".  Once she knows that she has everyone's attention she gets this huge smile on her face and puts on a show for everyone.  I tried to get a picture of all the waitresses around her after dinner tonight but was too late and only got a picture with one of them.  All five waitresses were down talking to her and laughing.  It is like that wherever we go.  We went to a pearl market today as well and before I knew it all of the salesmen had left there station and were around Kate. She even gets her pictures taken by strangers.  She really does have such a magnetic personality- EVERYONE loves her.  I can't wait for all of you to meet her- she is so fun. 
She started calling me MaMa today and will tell me she loves me after I say it to her- but she is still having trouble with Brian.  She will let him hold her and feed her most of the time, but she is still pinching and biting him and is still afraid of him a lot of the time.  Brian is handling it well, but I know it is killing him.  Please be praying that she will trust him soon. 
I can't believe that I keep forgetting to post about the picture album that we received when they brought Kate to us.  It was filled with pictures of her- and the last one was of her in a nice restaurant with a huge birthday cake and a birthday hat- they took her out for her birthday!!!!  I was so excited to get those pictures.  She was, without a doubt, one very loved little girl. We are so thankful that she was not only well taken care of, but genuinely loved while she was in the orphanage.
On business note- we still can't get the pictures from my Nikon D40 to download onto the computer- anyone know how to do it.  It is killing me that we can't post the best pictures.

5 comments:

Sarah Parker said...

Great pictures again! What a ham, I mean really! Glad she is doing so well. FYI we have had problems w/our Nikon as well, this will sound silly but do you use the USB cord that came w/ the camera? our usual SD card reader won't work w/ it, just the cord. Good luck w/ the pics. Thanks again for the updates!

Stacy Okland said...

thanks again! how cute that she is a little crowd stopper! I can't believe they took her out for her birthday!! Must have been a great place she was at.
We'll be praying for Kate with Brian. I know that has to be hard for him even when he doesn't say it. Yrs down the road when she is a daddy's girl and reads this she will never believe she did that to him:) Love you guys! Glad you are enjoying the culture over there! When Kevin and alyson went to Russia, they were in their hotel room ALOT!! That was really hard for them. Glad you are staying busy...makes the days go by faster.

Melanie said...

I'm guessing you have a cable for the Nikon. If you have a card reader, you can do the same thing.

Try plugging the camera/card reader into the USB port on the computer. Whatever program automatically opens, close it. Close any window that opens when you plug in the camera. Go to "my computer", locate the camera/card reader icon, open it, open the folder with the pictures, select the first one, hold down the shift key and click the last one....this will select them all. Got to "my pictures," open a folder and paste them into the folder. I hope that helps. I'm not sure what kind of laptop you have. If it's a Mac, I think the process is kinda the same.

LOVE the pictures you are sending. Kate is so adorable and I'm so glad to hear she has such an adorable personality. My prayer is that she bonds with Brian very quickly. I pray that she will learn to trust him.

Love you guys...Mel

Katie and Steve said...

Hello again! So happy to see the pictures-we are counting the days to meet her ang hug y'all. Tell Brian to hang in there. She will definitely come around. I think she is going through a really normal phase-it is just that you have not been there for the other phases. She is definitely bonding and is doing it on her own terms. As hard as it is, they all got through a Mama phase. The girls went through a time when they would not let Steve do anything for them. And you know he and Brian are the same, sweet, kind Daddys. Will pray for Kate and Brian. So glad you are enjoying it. Love you! Katie B

Beth Robinson said...

What kind of problem are you having with your nikon? The pictures you have posted are great. I can't wait to get online everyday to see you guys!